Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Recent Revolutions

These albums have been getting stereo play recently. The R.E.M. was initially for nostalgic purposes but eventually turned into a slight week long obsession.

The Chemical Brothers – We Are the Night
I got this from our Music department. Coincidently enough, the day I brought it home Lance brought up the fact that he picked up a copy at the San Fran Amoeba. I had to listen to it almost immediately. I haven’t finished it yet but I dig what I’ve heard. The Klaxons and good ol’ Fatlip guest on this album. That alone is worth anyone giving it a spin.




Knuckledragger – Knuckledragger

I was working a 2nd job at an independent toy store when I acquired this album. Rockabilly surf from Madison Wisconsin. Great Horror movie theme and hilarious samples. I remember seeing these guys a few times at the Inferno. I was also told that one of them works at Mad City Music Exchange. I haven’t confirmed that rumor.

Motor – Unhuman
I was blown away by Motor’s first album, Klunk. Unhuman works so well it could have been an extension to Klunk had Klunk been a double album. I was never into the whole rave scene and for some this music may be familiar territory. But for someone with an Industrial/Dark Wave background Motor fits in quite nicely. If I had to say, for instance if my life were hanging in the balance, I’d say that by the amount of spins both of these Motor records are getting that they’d be my favorite group as of late. But as everyone knows my favorite band is TMBG.

R.E.M. – Out of Time
There is a song on this album that I listened to in Jr. High that filled my mind during my first sexually based game with a sister to a classmate. I can’t listen to this song and not think of that night on the outskirts of Portage. I wonder what April is up to these days. Anyway this album is classic. I remember quoting Losing My Religion with Box at basketball camp. I scratched my LP copy of this album. I don’t want to talk about it.


R.E.M. – Automatic for the People
Another classic album. This may be a bit more mature than Out of Time, but it may be that I was little more mature when it came out. A very solid album throughout. Nightswimming is a personal favorite as well as Find the River. An overall sad album. I can dig it.






Sean Na Na – Family Trees: Or Cope We Must

I put this album in to prepare myself for the Sean Na Na/The Cribs show and although it’s sad to admit, it was the first time I gave it a proper listen. I really dig it. It’s no Dance Until Your Baby Is A Man, but then again nothing Sean Na Na has put out since has even come close to matching that superior album. That’s the problem with starting out with a bang. Everything else is just a set up for disappointment. But if disappointment sounds as good as Family Trees: Or Cope We Must then sign me up for a life with nothing but sheer and unconcentrated disappointment.